This month we will be running a short story contest for Nepean students, with prizes! Your work of original fiction (one entry per person) must be between 600 and 1000 words, but it can be on whatever topic you would like. There will be gift cards for the top three entries, with values of $75, $50, and $25 (from the winners’ choice of Starbucks, Indigo, Michael’s, GameStop, or Staples). Of course, we expect everyone to be mindful of harmful language and messages in their writing.
The stories will be blindly judged by the students of the Nepean Knightwatch team, using the following criteria:
- Originality of ideas
- Plot structure
- Character depth and development
- Clarity and style of writing
- X-factor — make it pop!
Use this form to send us your story: https://forms.gle/o7Fuyoos64Ffmj7d9
The deadline for submitting your work is March 31st
Here are some helpful tips to write a top-notch narrative:
- Start by brainstorming the key moments of your story.
- Think outside the box and don’t feel the need to stick to rigid writing conventions.
- Think about the emotions your story is meant to evoke.
- Use a thesaurus to find
- Have someone else read over your final copy and provide feedback.
- Have fun :)