This recipe is my favourite for when I don't want to spend time finding a recipe. It is relatively easy, extremely versatile, and consistently delicious. Perfect for when I've been asked to make dinner and I don't want to spend 10-15 minutes surfing the web for a new and interesting recipe. You can throw anything into this Mac & Cheese, and it will still taste nice. I like to throw in some frozen peas and sweetcorn, to make it a little bit healthier, and whatever random leftover meat we have lying around in the fridge. In the photo above, I put in peas, sweetcorn, and some smoked salmon. It tasted amazing!
Ingredients (makes 4-6):
- 8 ounces dry macaroni
- 1/2 onion sweet onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole or 2% milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard (optional)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (or whatever else takes your fancy
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Cook the pasta
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente, or according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking and keep the pasta from sticking together. Set aside. You can continue to the next steps while the pasta is cooking.
2. Cook the onions and garlic in a large pot over medium heat, and add butter. Once the butter is melted, add chopped onions and cook for a few minutes until they turn translucent. Then add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Stir the flour into the onion and garlic mixture and cook for a minute.
3. Stir in the milk, mustard, cheese, and slowly add the milk while stirring. The flour and onion mixture will thicken as you add the milk.
Once all the milk is added, stir in the grated cheese and mustard. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the cheese has melted.
4. Stir in the chicken (or whatever else you want to add) and pasta into the sauce. Once the cheese is melted, stir in the chicken and cooked pasta. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.